Through this program, we provide wage subsidies to employers to assist their hiring of a recent graduate. Last year, we placed over 60 recent graduates in career related positions with small and medium-sized enterprises. Through our partnership with Service Canada, we have been able to offer each employer in the program up to $7,750 in funding to help grow their business while providing valuable experience to new graduates.
Work Smarts Provides
- A 50% wage subsidy, up to a $8.50/hr subsidy for up to 26 weeks of work experience
- Assistance with job posting and short listing of candidates
- Training and mentoring for participants to enhance their work experience
- Advice and monitoring throughout the program to ensure participants and employers are receiving the best possible experience
- Fit under the NAICS High Demand Sector classification for Atlantic region
- Coverage of MERC (mandatory employment related costs) – CPP, EI, Vacation Pay
- Provide a 50% wage top up (to match the subsidized portion)
- Allow participant to attend training as required (two days at beginning, one day toward program end)
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30 (inclusive) at the time of intake/selection
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who have been granted refugee status in Canada
- Must be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- Must not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefit
For more information, please see the Career Focus eligibility requirements
EmployersWould your business benefit by hiring a recent graduate? We are currently looking for new employers to take part in the Work Smarts program.
Are you a recent graduate in search of employment? Check out our job postings, we are always adding new ones!